Jam. Loved by everyone. It used to be something we bought every month. I’ve made it for the last ten years but always used refined preserving sugar. I wanted to make a healthier version but wanted to keep it as close to regular jam as possible, just without the refined sugar content. A few trials and success!
- 200g frozen blackberries
- 100g frozen blueberries
- 1 table spoon honey
- 1 table spoon of lime juice
- 2 table spoons of chia seeds
- Weigh out your fruit and add to a medium sized non stick saucepan.
- Cook over a medium heat for about ten minutes. The berries should release their juices and the blackberries will start to break down. Squash them with the back of a spoon to break them up but leave the blueberries whole.
- The fruit should now have become like a syrup. If it looks like it needs a bit longer keep it on the heat for a few minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your lime juice and honey. Taste and add more of both if needed.
- Stir in your chia seeds and mix well. Set aside for ten minutes to thicken up.
- Transfer to a jar and once completely cool put the lid on and store in the cupboard.
K&H TipThis jam won’t set completely solid like other jams – the consistency is more like that of a preserve.
Share this Post