Our delicious spiced carrot and apple cake is a guaranteed favourite for any family get together and is made using 100% natural ingredients.
A classic cake! You will NEVER know that this cake is refined sugar free or gluten free. This cake is made using sukrin icing sugar – a natural icing sugar alternative with zero calories and zero GI. We also use a teaspoon of Xanthan gum which improves crumb structure where gluten is absent in baking, it’s completely optional but makes for a better texture.
- 220g self raising gluten free flour
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g coconut palm sugar
- 3 medium eggs (free range)
- 0.5 teaspoon mixed spice
- 0.5 teaspoon nutmeg
- 0.5 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum (optional)
- 75g walnuts, chopped, plus extra for decoration
- 200g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 150g Sukrin Icing Sugar
- 50g butter, very soft
- 180g full fat cream cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 and line an 8 inch cake tin with grease proof paper. It will help with cake removal if your tin has a removable bottom.
- In a large bowl mix your flour, sugar, walnuts, spices, baking powder and xanthan gum if using.
- Add your grated carrots and apple and mix well.
- Add your eggs, slowly and mix until combined.
- Finally add the oil and mix well but do not over mix.
- Pour your mix into your tin and bake in the centre of the oven for an hour. Test by inserting a knife into the centre of the cake – it should come out clean. If not leave in the oven for a further ten minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in its tin for ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, make your icing.
- Beat your butter for one minute with either a handheld mixer or in a free standing mixer. Add your cream cheese and mix to combine. Add your Sukrin icing sugar and mix until smooth. If you’re not going to ice your cake immediately cover in clingfilm and pop in the fridge until needed.
- Ice the top of your cake and crush the extra walnuts and scatter over the top.
You can swap the walnuts for pecans if you wish or you can leave the nuts out all together.
Looking for a great drink to go with our spiced carrot and apple cake? Try our delicious Coconut Matcha Latte.