I love oats for breakfast in winter, they keep me full until lunch time and they take only minutes to make. This recipe requires a tiny bit more effort to include the caramelised apples but I promise you it’s worth it!
“Oats, via their high fiber content, are known to help remove cholesterol from the digestive system that would otherwise end up in the bloodstream” (1)
- 50g gluten free rolled porridge oats
- 250ml milk of your choice (we use Coconut from Rude Health)
- 1 eating apple – Pink Lady apples work especially well
- 1 table spoon Coconut Oil
- 1 table spoon honey (we use Hilltop Honey)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- First make your apples. Do not peel. Slice half way across into rings approximately 3mm thick – you should make about four or five. Chop the rest into cubes.
- Heat your coconut oil and honey in a frying pan and add your apple rings face down. Fry for about 4 minutes and then flip over to fry the other side for a further 2 minutes. The rings should caramelise and become sticky. At this point add the apple cubes to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Now mix together oats, milk, cinnamon and ginger and cook over a medium heat until it reaches your desired texture.
- Spoon into a bowl and serve topped with your apple rings, apple cubes and a splash more of milk if required.
K&H TipYou could make this with pears too!
Share this Post